An effective means for transitioning ownership.
A management buyout is a type of acquisition that enables a company’s management team to acquire a significant stake in, or the entirety of, the company from the parent or from private owners.
A management buyout can be attractive to managers because of the greater financial rewards when one is an owner of the company rather than solely an employee. Management buyouts are also an appealing liquidity option for owners who wish to transition out of a business and may not have a succession plan in place.
In this management buyout example, the owners are completely bought out. The management team increases their ownership stake from 15% to 60% and the sponsor obtains 40% of the company.
- Senior debt: £10 million - £300 million
- Subordinated debt: £10 million - £100 million
- Middle-market companies with attractive growth prospects and positive cashflow
- Dedicated and cohesive management teams
- Minimum EBITDA of £8 million
- Generalist sector approach
- Senior debt, alongside junior capital, for a seamless, one-stop solution with a single, relationship-oriented capital provider
- Typical maturities: 3 – 25+ years
- Flexible payment structures, including amortising or bullet, and fixed- or floating-rate
- Capacity to fund across your capital structure; a one-stop shop with senior debt, mezzanine or subordinated debt, and preferred equity
- Supportive, patient, relationship-oriented partner
- Deep pockets to provide follow-on capital to fund your future growth
- Specialty in mezzanine, which is a less dilutive type of capital
- Aptitude for understanding the complexities associated with your business
Greg Moore, President and CEO of MooreCo, sought a financial partner to support the management buyout of his company from Webster Capital as well as a recapitalisation.
Working closely with Greg and MooreCo’s management team, we structured a one-stop financing solution incorporating senior debt, subordinated debt, and structured equity.
The management team opted to partner with us based on our long-term, relationship-oriented investment strategy, and ability to craft a one-stop financing solution that met their needs.
The completion of the transaction will enable MooreCo to explore future growth opportunities as well as strengthen its position in existing markets.
“Pricoa Private Capital is engaged, involved, and knows about the business to the degree that my family did…That approach so far is building a foundation that is going to allow us to execute in the future, and it is with a patience on short term versus long term.”
Greg Moore, CEO, MooreCo
When planning the next phase of your company’s growth strategy, management buyouts can be an appealing liquidity option for several reasons:
- Owners can be assured that the company will have a dedicated management team
- The due diligence process is likely to be shorter because the buyers have familiarity and working knowledge of the company
- Owners are able to reward management with an equity stake
- Owners can sell a controlling interest in the company without conceding confidential information to external purchasers
When you are determining how to transition the business to the next generation of ownership, and for family-owned businesses where transitioning ownership to a family member is not necessarily an option, there are two main alternatives: selling the company to an outside third-party (private equity firm, public market, strategic buyer) or selling the company to employees.
To learn more about an ESOP financing, hear from our partner, Hypertherm, on their journey to a 100% employee-owned company.
Patience is in
“One thing we know for sure is that growth will not be linear -- we know that it is going to come in stops and starts – and that is why patience is really key.”
We share what we know
Receive our latest perspectives on business issues, industry trends, and economic insights.
Pricoa Private Capital (‘PPC’) is a trading name of PGIM, Inc. (‘PGIM’), the principal asset management business of Prudential Financial, Inc. ('PFI'). Pricoa Private Capital registered in Ireland as Pricoa Capital Group (Ireland) Limited, Pramerica Drive, Letterkenny Business and Technology Park, Letterkenny, Co Donegal, F92 W8CY, Ireland. Registered in Ireland under company number: 635793. Authorised and Regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. In the United Kingdom (UK), and various other jurisdictions in Europe, certain investment activities are undertaken by Pricoa Capital Group Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, (registration number 172071). Pricoa Capital Group Limited is registered in England No. 1331817. The registered office is Grand Buildings, 1-3 Strand, Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5HR. PPC, Pricoa, PGIM and the Rock symbol are service marks of PFI and its related entities, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. PFI of the United States is not affiliated with Prudential plc, a company incorporated in the United Kingdom.
©2019, Prudential Financial, Inc. and its related entities. Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where PGIM has facilities or in which we engage service providers and if you provide Personal Information to us you consent to the transfer of that information to countries outside your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.